Re: [6pack] U-Joint Headaches

To: stuartt@tlthompson.com (Stuart Thompson)
Subject: Re: [6pack] U-Joint Headaches
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 12:39:43 -0700
Stuart---You'll know more when examining the suspect area, but it looks
more like a u-joint than anything else. Keep in mind there are six of
these on the TR6, so all should be checked visually, and by flexing if
possible. Just about any grease will do, as I've used the white lithium,
Lubriplate, and some generic stuff with a Chevron lable on the tube.
(Check the Owners Handbook)
While one kind maybe better, it's difficult to judge given that the
flexing and load duties of one 'joint could be different from the
others. Smoothing the grease into the bearing needles and half-filling
the cups before installing them into the yokes is important, as future
greasing with a gun doesn't ensure that all bearings will get their
share.

I like your "sound effects"!

Dick

From:
stuartt@tlthompson.com(Stuart Thompson)

Listers:
Driving along in 74 TR6 with an occasional cracking sound coming from
right rear.
Suddenly it gets worse.

Clankity clankity clankity ka pow ker klunk ker klunk
all the way home. Busted another u-joint. This is the 2nd one in 3 years
with little
more than 3000 miles on it. I previously had the front right
differential mounting
bracket re-welded hoping it would hold. I have not yet began to tear it
down so I'm
not sure if the mount failed again or if there is something else causing
the problem.
Any ideas?
Stuart Thompson