RE: [6pack] Rechroming luggage rack

To: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Subject: RE: [6pack] Rechroming luggage rack
From: Dennis N Culligan <dncullig@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 15:49:32 -0400
Vance -
   What I have been told is that the rack on my car is a dealer
installed option (I am not the original owner but it was a 30,000
mile original car when I bought it in 1989). The mounting points
are well out to the corners of the trunk lid and it covers nearly
the entire trunk.  It makes the trunk lid weigh about 100 pounds
(you don't want to drop the lid on your hand, believe me!) but
it's sturdy, does not bend, nor does it dent the trunk lid at all.
The rack was (obviously) removed when I had the car re-
painted and there were no adverse affects from its being there
for all those years.
    I put a load of firewood wrapped in plastic on the luggage
rack for a camping trip to Watkins Glen once - no problem.
And I once had somebody ask me if they could buy just the
rack... when I told them no, they said "OK, how much do you
want for the whole car?"

Dennis Culligan, Highland, NY/ 1976 TR6 CF57948U - TR6IUMPH

             "Navarrette,
             Vance"
             <vance.navarrette                                          To
             @intel.com>               Dennis N Culligan/Sterling
                                       Forest/IBM@IBMUS,
             10/26/2007 02:29          <pbeckman@ameritech.net>
                                       <6pack@autox.team.net>
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: [6pack] Rechroming luggage rack

             Dennis:

             Is yours one of the AMCO racks or a clone the AMCO?

             The reason I ask is that I had an AMCO which I removed during
restoration for a couple of reasons. First, the AMCO rack was screwed on
to the deck lid, necessitating holes in the sheet metal (ugh). Secondly,
when loaded, the AMCO apparently has a tendency to dent the deck lid,
and third it trapped moisture leading to rust around the mounting
points. At least this is what mine had when I bought it.
             The rack itself is stout, but the disadvantages were too many
suit me and loading on 75lb would make me cringe. Besides I am a butt
man, and the butt on a TR6 is too gorgeous to mess up by installing an
obvious afterthought like a luggage rack. Yeah, baby! So I sold it for
big $$ on eBay.
             I had the holes on my deck lid welded and ground, and there is
no trace of the former indignities heaped upon my "screaming yellow
zonker". My question for you is: have you observed any of my complaints
on your rack, or was mine just a case of the DPO abusing the car?

             Cheers,

             Vance