RE: [6pack] Rechroming luggage rack

To: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>, "Dennis N
Subject: RE: [6pack] Rechroming luggage rack
From: "Robert N. Clark" <rclark@robertsonclark.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 11:51:34 -0700
Vance & Dennis,

On a previous 71 TR6 which appeared to be loaded (OD, wire wheels, big
stripes from the hood back) there was also a rack that was low and wide
and its mounting points were close to the front and rear edges of the
trunk lid.  I didn't use if for much other than ski racks or an
occasional box but I didn't notice much deformation of the trunk lid.  I
have seen other racks that are higher, narrower and have mounting points
more in the center of the lid. Not as a attractive as my old one. I can
imagine that these would dent the trunk lid with 75 pounds on board.

Bob Clark
'69 TR6

        Dennis:

        Is yours one of the AMCO racks or a clone the AMCO?

        The reason I ask is that I had an AMCO which I removed during
restoration for a couple of reasons. First, the AMCO rack was screwed on
to the deck lid, necessitating holes in the sheet metal (ugh). Secondly,
when loaded, the AMCO apparently has a tendency to dent the deck lid,
and third it trapped moisture leading to rust around the mounting
points. At least this is what mine had when I bought it.
        The rack itself is stout, but the disadvantages were too many to
suit me and loading on 75lb would make me cringe. Besides I am a butt
man, and the butt on a TR6 is too gorgeous to mess up by installing an
obvious afterthought like a luggage rack. Yeah, baby! So I sold it for
big $$ on eBay.
        I had the holes on my deck lid welded and ground, and there is
no trace of the former indignities heaped upon my "screaming yellow
zonker". My question for you is: have you observed any of my complaints
on your rack, or was mine just a case of the DPO abusing the car?

        Cheers,

        Vance