[6pack] Get into my Head

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [6pack] Get into my Head
From: "John Cyganowski" <janah@att.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 11:18:43 -0500
Hi All-

Okay here is another one of those long messages where I ask a lot of
questions. Please forgive me in advance.

The bottom end rebuild is going well and my engine guy is prompting me to
start thinking about the head.

So some background.  I have a 1970. The head is a Circle B with the narrow
ports.  I am not going to change this.  On a very good price, I picked up a
second Circle B with the narrow ports.  The thought was that even if the
head was cracked, then I would have a good cadaver to learn about porting.
Both heads are flat, magnafluxed great and are un-cut, i.e. full thickness.
So I guess I will keep one of the heads as a spare at least for now. I will
have my head milled to raise compression to 9.5:1.

My first questions are about valves.  Obviously a 3 angle valve job is part
of my spec.  But I notice there are different sized valves. Is there a
reason to go to larger valves? I am not even sure if  I can go to larger
valves with this head. Advice?

Okay, I read / heard about "gas flowed valves" in 214N stainless.  Are these
a good way to go? Where can I source these?

Valve guides and seals.  Bronze or cast iron guides?  Valve guide seals or
no seals?  I plan to use the original 150hp PI cam.  I think this set-up
used double springs.Will valve guide seals fit with the double springs?  I
have heard complaints about teflon valve guide seals, but no reasons were
given.  Is teflon a bad material for valve guide seals?

Porting.  From what I have read, porting on the 6 consists more of smoothing
and removing seams.  How hard is this to do?  Gasket / Port matching.  Easy?
Hard? Do it or not?

Pocket work.  I cannot decipher the Vizard drawings.  What is being done in
the pocket? Too risky for the novice? Advice?

Thanks,
John Cyg