[6pack] Transmission Issues - Update and Overdrive??

To: "'6pack@autox.team.net'" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [6pack] Transmission Issues - Update and Overdrive??
From: "Hunter, Darcy" <Darcy_Hunter@Instron.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 08:41:20 -0500
Taking the advice of a few, this Saturday I drove the 2 = hours to Quantum
Mechanics to drop off my TR6 transmission with John Esposito.  Great guy and
spent lots of time with me (shop is fantastically clutter with British car
transmission parts).  Pulled the cover off my unit and quickly determined
that, in fact, the box did need work.  Box had excess slop in it preventing
the syncros from working properly.  Reverse gear had a few bad teeth and John
expected that the top hat bushing was bad.  Will get it replaced with the
updated steel unit.  Estimated bill around $800 which seems reasonable.  In
addition we talked about the clutch chattering I was getting and John showed
me where a few worn items in my cross shaft mechanism could be contributing to
the problems.  That's also encouraging.
Now.....the big question is where the conversation went after that.  John went
on to show me some of the type J overdrives he was bringing in as cores and
rebuilding.  He provides the complete kit including the steering column switch
and wiring hardness included is the change required with a shaft in the
transmission.  A lot more $$ at 1500 and certainly not what I had expected
doing.  It is appealing, however, to envision  myself going down the road and
adding two extra gears and frankly, it was an addition I might have done in
3-4 years anyway.  So two questions, is overdrive a significant improvement?
If it is, what would I expect to spend if I pieced it together myself instead
of getting the whole kit from John?  Thanks

Darcy Hunter
'73 TR6
No. Easton, MA