Re: [6pack] TR6 Clutch Master cylinder (.70 vs .75)

To: Bob <rpeglow@optonline.net>, 6pack List <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] TR6 Clutch Master cylinder (.70 vs .75)
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 09:24:33 -0700
        Bob:

        I did not notice any such sealant when I replaced the brake lines on my
'74.
Is it possible it was merely brake fluid, perhaps with a bit of absorbed
moisture? Brake fluid will boil if you get it hot enough (400-500 degrees?)
The 0.70 master will get you a longer throw at the slave, albeit at the
expense of some increased pedal effort.
        I have concluded that if you want a lighter clutch pedal, the best
solution
is to get the proper pressure plate. According to Roger Williams, many TR6s
ended up with the incorrect Borg and Beck pressure plate after B&B
discontinued the original part number. The original B&B was the so called
"yellow spot" which had a similar clamping pressure to the Laycock. The yellow
spot refers to the splash of paint that B&B applied to the pressure plate to
give a visual indication of the clamping force. When yellow was discontinued,
apparently the "green spot" pressure plate was substituted widely, when in
fact the "blue spot" was a much better match. The yellow spot had the lightest
pedal, followed by the blue spot. Apparently the green spot is a significant
step up in clamping pressure, leading to high pedal effort. It should also be
mentioned that the higher the pedal pressure, the more wear you put on the
thrust washers, so a green spot may cause premature failures(?).
        Anyway, I used a NOS yellow spot on my TR6, and I was told by my LBC
mechanic
that it was the lightest TR6 clutch pedal he could remember. All I know is
that it has worked flawlessly for the last 4 years (admittedly the mileage has
been low, I only drive it in fair weather). One other thought - could a high
clamping pressure contribute to clutch disk sticking? Dunno....
        You won't regret going with DOT5. It works great, and no paint damage.
Bleeding it is a challenge, however.

        Vance

    Vance Navarrette
    Cogito Ergo Zoom