Re: [6pack] Tire Pressures

To: David Friedlander <forzion@maine.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Tire Pressures
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 07:52:26 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

I've played with tire pressures on TR6's for a long time. THe 20/24 for
the stock tires results in a car that tends to push a bit. This is good
for the vast majority of drivers.

you can gett the handling to balance by making the pressures more equal,
and you can get slightly better mileage by moving the pressures up a bit.
I run 32/32 on my Old Yokohama A-509s. The car is very neutral and I can
"rotate" it when needed. Of course I run stiff springs and big bars
front/rear, but when I ran the stock suspension with stock tires
(185/80-15) back in the day, I ran 28/28 on the street with no ill effects
for years. I think I went up to higher pressures to get better mileage,
but the handling was pretty much the same as the stock setup.

if you want the car to rotate more (you probably do NOT want to do this,
BTW) run slightly higher pressures in the front.

Note, the above assumes that you are not running race tires or anything
exotic. For example, some DOT race radials need big pressures - I ran 40
or 42 psi on the Hoosier radials when they first came out. I run more like
25 psi on the bias ply slicks on the race car. But no matter what you do,
make sure you do not exceed the max pressure listed on the tire carcass.

regards,
rml
Bob Lang              NER/SCCA                 |  This space for rent
Solo Chair 2009       TR6 40 F Prepared        |  Triumph!
Voice:781-438-2568    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489