Re: [6pack] Rear tube shock conversion

To: "6pack@autox.team.net" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Rear tube shock conversion
From: DAVID MASSEY via 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 12:23:03 +0000 (UTC)

------=_Part_542174_1962980634.1589199783551

 There are several tube shock conversion kits out there and there are sever=
al significant differences.=C2=A0 I know of three styles:
#1 A simple bracket that mounts to the inner wheel well.=C2=A0 This one is =
evil.=C2=A0 This kit transfers all the shock loading to the bodywork which =
was not designed to this and will suffer for it.=C2=A0 Avoid at all costs.
#2 Multi-piece.=C2=A0 This has a series of three brackets on each side.=C2=
=A0 There is a bracket that mounts to the inner wheel well as in the on abo=
ve but it also bolts up to another bracket in the recess by the gas tank wh=
ich mounts up to yet another bracket that bolts up to the mount for the lev=
er shock.=C2=A0 This kit transfers the shock loading to the frame point tha=
t was designed for it.=C2=A0 The down side is there are six pieces requirin=
g 16 new holes in the bodywork and the brackets are bulky.=C2=A0 I removed =
mine after I found the tire on one side was rubbing against the bracket in =
the wheel well.
#3 single bracket direct to the frame.=C2=A0 This part is unique in its app=
earance in that it has a serpentine shape, mounts to the frame where the le=
ver shock mounts and reaches up to accept the top of the shock.=C2=A0 It ha=
s been said that this bracket will crack the frame since it has a long leve=
r arm and could apply additional torque to the mount.=C2=A0 But a quick vec=
tor analysis indicates that the forces are parallel to the long axis of the=
 bracket and the loading on the frame will be not significantly different t=
hat those applied by the original lever shock.=C2=A0 The TR6 frame is infam=
ous for having weak spots but the shock mount is not one of them.=C2=A0 The=
 differential mount certainly is and 40 year old frames tend to experience =
cracking regardless of what shock system is used.
I've used #2 and #3 and, more recently, switched back to lever shocks re-va=
lved by World Wide Auto Parts and find this a good solution for street use.=
=C2=A0 I suppose I could have tried a series of telescopic shocks with #3 b=
ut having other irons in the fire I did not pursue that approach.=20

Dave=20

=20
=20