Re: Cooling fan

To: Tom Yang <TYang@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Cooling fan
From: Victor Hughes <v.hughes@student.canberra.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 13:23:25 +1000
Tom

I have run electric fans on 3 cars now and thoroughly recommend.  Much
quieter because the fan hardly ever runs except in traffic in hot
weather.   I also got notably better fuel economy - up 2 mpg (8%).  No
experience with flexi steel but would expect that results will not be as
good as with electric - the fan is still being turned around and hence
making noise and using some fuel.

My current Brock Commodore has one of those viscous coupled jobs that are
heat activated (ie the hotter the motor, the more they turn) but this has
its drawbacks - on hot days on the highway even though the engine coolant
is not hot (because of bulk airflow through radiator) the fan will be
running (roaring) because of higher ambient temperature under the bonnet
(sorry, hood).  It's being replaced soon with electric.

hope this helps

Vic Hughes