RE: Cooling fan

To: Victor Hughes <v.hughes@student.canberra.edu.au>
Subject: RE: Cooling fan
From: Jarrid Gross <JGross@econolite.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 15:55:29 -0700
Victor wrote,

>On the model (Davies-Craig brand) I used there was a probe which was
inserted
>longitudinally into the radiator top hose where the hose fits onto the
>radiator (ie you took the hose off, put the probe and a small sleeve on the
>radiator outlet and slipped the hose back over, then tightened up the
>clamp).  I had my doubts at first but this worked fine -  no leaks - the
>sleeve is arc-shaped to fit smoothly inside the hose and has a slot for the
>probe

I used one of these once, with time, the copper tube collapsed "due to
repeated tightening/removal"
and the switch failed to opperate.

The copper tube of the thermostat was maliable enough to be crushed even
with the provided sleeve.

I replaced it with a switch that is stuck through the fins of the radiator,
and through
intimate thermal contact with the outside of the core, gave good thermal
control.

Jarrid Gross