RE: Dieseling revisited

To: Christopher Albers <Christopher.Albers@bubbs.biola.edu>,
Subject: RE: Dieseling revisited
From: Jarrid Gross <JGross@econolite.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 13:42:18 -0700
Chris wrote,

>Well, I fixed my dieseling problem, but what an expensive solution!
>
>I purchased 5 gallons of 110 octane leaded racing fuel and mixed it
>with about 4 gallons of 92 octane unleaded.  Poof!  No more dieseling.
>Now all I need to do is figure out what mixture ratio will keep it
>fixed for the least amount of $.  At $4.50/gal it's no small price to
>pay unless I get it in 55 gal drums, then it gets knocked down to
>$3.90/gal!

You might try to make your own.
Tolulene (a high VOC additive, which is commonly used as octane boost)
WAS available for about $4usd a gallon from most hardware stores.
Tolulene has a specified octane rating of 130.
Mixed 1 in 10 with 92 pump gas, should yield about 96 octane, with an
overall
cost of less than $2usd per gallon.

>Oh, yeah, and I've noticed quite a bit more pep to the motor.  Love
>that benefit.

You sure?
Racing fuel doesnt pack significanly more energy into a gallon of fuel.
It does however allow for higher compressions, and ignition advance
before detonation occurs, which CAN add horsepower when compared to
the same engine with lower compression and less timing.

Also, racing fuel tends to have a different specific gravity and
stoichiometric point that shifts max power towards the rich side of the
air fuel table.
In order to take advantage of this, the engine must be re-jetted.
Even still most would agree that getting 10% more power out of racing
fuel would very optimistic.

Can you feel 10 more HP?

Jarrid Gross