Re: Noisy throw out bearing

To: "alpines@autox.team.net" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Noisy throw out bearing
From: Paul Heuer <paul.heuer@dsto.defence.gov.au>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 10:02:46 +0930
Bill, and other 'roller bearing' bods,

I followed Tony Leeming's advice and it worked for me!

I had trouble finding a spray pack of graphite, but a locksmith ordered
can for me. The spray carrier must be something that won't harm the
friction
surface of the clutch (ie no silicon).

The can came with a little hollow tube that connects to the spray
nozzle. I
poked the tube in through the fulcrum opening and gave a couple of
squirts.
Engine was off (cool, no burns on the exhaust). No more squeal. If
anyone
wants the brand name, let me know and I'll check for you.

Between the horror stories of new carbon bearings failing after only a
few
miles (they don't make 'em like they used to) and the squealing roller
bearings, which way do you go?

Cheers,
Paul.