Re: cam timing

To: alpines@autox.team.net, hillman@can-inc.com
Subject: Re: cam timing
From: TIGEROOTES@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 10:30:29 EST
Greg,
    Very interesting test!  I ran an Isky SB-3 for Autocrossing in my first
Alpine and it is a good camshaft.  It develops reduced torque at low speeds,
but comes alive (gently) around 2500 rpm, when degreed at zero advance or
retard.  My engine was pushing about 10.5 : 1 compression.  If you need to
keep your car able to be easily driven on the street, this is a very good cam
grind.  Next time, I will run the same cam retarded a few degrees (for higher
rpm peaking) on my street Alpine, and that is easily done with an
offset-ground, camshaft gear Woodruff Key.
Jim