Re: No Alpine Content (general auto help required)

To: alpines <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: No Alpine Content (general auto help required)
From: Alex & Peggy McGregor <apmcgregor@home.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 19:32:03 -0600
I want to thank all who responded to my query about blowing a plug out of an
aluminium
head (yes it was aluminium).  I felt, and could see,  that there was thread
damage even
though I did manage to put it back in and torque it to 15 ft/lbs.  I just
didn't feel
right about allowing my favourite (read only) daughter to drive 400 miles of
highway that
has a total of 6 towns with a gas station, when it's 30 below zero.  I also
didn't feel
like letting her do this after I had installed my 1st helicoil.  I took the car
to a
local automotive machine shop today.  They installed a helicoil for $50
Canadian + 15%
@#$%^ sales tax (about US$40).  Seems like a small price to pay for a bit of
piece of
mind.  This machine shop (rebuilder) may get a bit of business as I start to do
the
mechanicals on the SI.

I never realized that this could be done with the head on.  If I hadn't been in
a hurry
I'd have pulled the head, taken that in and paid the same amount for the coil,
more for a
valve job and a gasket set, all without asking for advice, I hate admitting I
don't know
everything.

Thanks again to everyone.  The story has a happy ending.

Al McGregor
B9006487