several questions

To: Alpine Discussion List <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: several questions
From: bmounce@impop.bellatlantic.net
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 07:02:39 -0500
Fellow 'Piners:

I just returned from Kentucky where my SV is being rebuilt by my uncle
and cousins (and 'No', it's not the one getting the flame paint job!
They do like the color, however, 'Holley' Green!).  At any rate, I have
a few questions, any help is greatly appreciated.

1. The flywheel gear is a bit chewed up, is it OK to reverse the gear
and use the 'good' side?

2. How can I tell if my gearbox is SV?  I have two, and the one not
installed in the car has the electrical switch to activate the back up
lights.  I'm afraid the one in the car is non-synchro first gear.

3. How much meat should the throw out bearing have?  Loaded question,
but how quickly do they wear?  Are they fairly durable?

4. At the rear of the body there are holes for the back up light wires
and license plate wires.  While I know it is not important, which are
which?

5. Under the hood, on the cowling (where the ID tags are), I have on
either side two squares of aluminum about 3" square.  They don't look
original!  What should go there, hood stops of some nature?

6. Finally, is there a SV in the Philadelphia/Lehigh Valley area that
would be available for me to see and photograph?  Anyone with one
available could earn themselves a few beers by letting me snap a roll of
film, please advise.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Bill
67 SV