Re: several questions

To: bmounce@impop.bellatlantic.net
Subject: Re: several questions
From: "jumpin'jan" <servaij@cris.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 07:48:51 -0800
bmounce@impop.bellatlantic.net wrote:

> Fellow 'Piners:
>
> 1. The flywheel gear is a bit chewed up, is it OK to reverse the gear
> and use the 'good' side?

Your flywheel gear is probably good! The teeth actually have an angle
ground on one side and after much use it gets the appearance that it is
ground up. No, you can't reverse the ring gear because of the reason
that I mentioned.

> 2. How can I tell if my gearbox is SV?  I have two, and the one not
> installed in the car has the electrical switch to activate the back up
> lights.  I'm afraid the one in the car is non-synchro first gear.

The shifter in reverse is the key. The early tranny is to the bottom
left, later is to the bottom right

> 3. How much meat should the throw out bearing have?  Loaded question,
> but how quickly do they wear?  Are they fairly durable?

If you are replacing the clutch, replace the throw-out bearing ($10.00)

> 4. At the rear of the body there are holes for the back up light wires
> and license plate wires.  While I know it is not important, which are
> which?

I'm not sure which are which. I would check with a multi-meter

> 5. Under the hood, on the cowling (where the ID tags are), I have on
> either side two squares of aluminum about 3" square.  They don't look
> original!  What should go there, hood stops of some nature?

Remove them. They should NOT to be there.

Jan Servaites
--