Re: motor problem

To: glocke@ihug.co.nz, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: motor problem
From: MrZAG57@aol.com
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 21:58:26 EST
In a message dated 3/6/2001 7:11:47 PM, glocke@ihug.co.nz writes:

<< Engine fault diagnosis here...

1725 engine with about 5000 miles on it after reboring and rebearing.
Suddenly started making a big end type knock on start up, that would
disappear as soon as oil pressure light went out. At same time, when
driving, if I pulled my foot off the accelerator, then floored it, a big
puff of blue smoke emits from the exhaust, and the engine pinks wildly for a
mo, then pulls fine with no smoke.

Oil must be getting into the combustion chamber somehow and diluting the
fuel, hence the pinking. I have just pulled the sump and big ends out, and
they look OK, so I don't think that is the source of the knock. However, the
big end clearances may be a bit on the large side to begin with (crank not
reground, only polished)

The prolem appeared suddenly, but has not worsened over 500 miles of hard
driving.

I did suspect the valve guides, but it doesn't explain why the problem
appeared suddenly.

Any ideas.

Greg >>

I don't know nothin' about nothin' ( remember?) BUT are your carbs flooding?
Could your oil have gotten fuel deluted? Are you using the correct weight of
oil?

I remember someone on the list having a similar problem a coule of years ago
and this is where he ended up. Like I said, I don't nothin' about nothin" (
remember?)