Re: motor problem

To: <MrZAG57@aol.com>, "Alpine list" <alpines@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: motor problem
From: "Greg Locke" <glocke@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 19:15:15 +1300
Hi All, and great big thankyous to the help received on this list.

I think I have found the cause of my smoke problem.

Fishing through the dregs in the sump I have come across a small piece of
oil ring. It looks like the end of the main part, about 1/8 inch long. Took
the plugs out, and they all look fine, but shining a torch down the holes
reveals the top of number 3 piston looking quite black and wet. Up
underneath I see no signs of scoring on the piston or bore, but the piece of
ring would have been small enough to go through the slot behind the oil
rings.

The smoking began suddenly, and the compression is still good, so busted
ring fits the bill well.

Could this also be the cause of the knock on start up? I have measured all
the bearings and they are pretty much the right thickness, the blisters on
the bearings I think now are just due to bits of debris. I haven't
plastiguaged yet.

So looks like off comes the head... out comes the pistons,  and maybe out
comes the motor.

What do I do now... rebuild this one, or create my mega cc monster?

The answer lies in my bank account.

thanks again and will keep you posted

Greg