Re: motor problem

To: "Greg Locke" <glocke@ihug.co.nz>, "Alpine list"
Subject: Re: motor problem
From: "Barbara Blue" <the_blues@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 20:37:57 -0500
Greg, there is a quick and dirty method of checking bearing clearance.  For
a couple of bucks you can buy Plastigage from the better auto supply houses.
This is a plastic string of known diameter.  Snip off a length and place it
across the suspect journal, replace the cap and torque to specification.  Do
not rotate the crank.  Remove the cap.  You will find the plastic has
flattened.  You can then measure bearing clearance with a printed guage that
is on the Plastigage package.  Note to all:  This is not a precision method
to determine the exact bearing clearance, but is a damn handy way to get a
quick idea of what has happened without tearing the bottom out of the
engine.
Bill