Re: Holbay question

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Holbay question
From: RootesRooter@aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 12:30:56 EDT
In a message dated 5/16/03 7:01:37 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tom.hill@att.net
writes:

<< Most engine builders go to great lengths to "index" the intake and exhaust
 manifolds so they line up perfectly.  This would help the gases flow more
 smoothly in and out of the engine.  However, this brings up another
 interesting point about using the Holbay setup; has anyone been able to find
 the correct Holbay intake/exhaust gasket?  I am planning to use a stock
 alpine gasket but it does not line up.  The problem is compounded by the
 intake runner dowels that locate the gasket.  This makes the middle two
 intake port gasket holes much larger than the Holbay intake. >>

Does it actually "not line up" (the intake ports being offcenter from the
gasket holes), or is it just that the gasket holes are too big?

I wonder if enlarging the intake ports on the Holbay head wouldn't increase
horsepower. I've read in the past that the reason the Hunter/Arrow range head
ports were narrowed was to make the engine run smoother, with less vibration
and buzz.  The shop manual specs on the Series V vs. Alpine GT fastback show
several less horsepower in the GT with basically the same engine and carbs.

Dick Sanders
B395009510