Steering wheel hub & OT source of Torana

To: "lauri lehtinen" <lauri.lehtinen@pp.nic.fi>
Subject: Steering wheel hub & OT source of Torana
From: "Keith Johnson" <keiths55@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 22:04:19 +1000
> > > Now all I need is a Rootes emblem to replace the Holden Lion on the
> > > horn button...
> >
> Is there a lion in Holdens emblem?
>
> I was sure it is a mustang, because I have heard so often:
> "Holden your horses!"
>
> Larry

Funny man,
Holden emblem a lion with a stone, (pussy cat with a pebble???)
For those in USA, the Torana was same family as Vauxhall Viva and Opel
Kadette.
The original series were 1200cc same as HB Viva. Australia stuffed in a
1900cc engine of Opel origin, then 2/3 of a Holden six they called a
starfire four (Aussies called it misfire :-)
Then came the six cylinder version. Small Holden six with three on the tree
and bench front seat.
Very quickly got an Opel four speed, bucket seats, front disc brakes, triple
carbs.&etc etc etc......... thus was born the mighty Torana GTR  XU-1. Small
British car, larger engine, sounds like a Rootes project :-). Hot rod types
shoehorned in Holden and Chevy V8 engines, but even with a well worked six
they could do a sub 12 sec standing 1/4. I raced one of these little beasts
in the early eighties, they were a little nose heavy but you could steer it
very effectively with opposite lock and lots of right foot :-)

I was looking at some Torana front uprights comparing them with the Rootes
ones and they are very similar. The Torana can use any of the full size
ventilated Holden disc brake assemblies which would be of benefit on an
Alpine, Rapier or Tiger driven "hard". In fact the complete front end
assembly would fit under any of the Rootes cars with very little
modification. This would give front mounted rack and pinion, better brakes
and an overall stronger front end. I have one of these front ends that I was
looking at fitting to my 55 Californian together with the matching rear end.
The 55 front end is not very strong so the swap would be beneficial and
allow the installation of more horsepower.
The Australian LC/LJ Torana is one of the few cars that have a crossmember,
wishbone style front end that is narrow enough to use under a Rootesmobile
without narrowing it or having wheels sticking out, AND is strong enough.
The early 70's Toyota apparently has a similar suspension also.

I could get an Alpine and put a V8 in it,  but that has already been done so
a Holden V6 (3800cc) in my 55 sounds almost as good. With power steering,
air & CD stacker just the thing for cruising around in in style :-)).

Keith
55 Californian
57 Rapier