Re: rebuilding 1725

To: yvrcanada@hotmail.com, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: rebuilding 1725
From: TIGEROOTES@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 01:12:52 EDT
Ohan,
       Call me before you take the financial "plunge"...  I have built
literally dozens of engines over the years and in PTC, we have two local
machine
shops that I have personally "trained" ALA worked with (at least) 27 years.

       Hours and hours of research have gone into modernizing Rootes alloy
and iron heads, to update them for unleaded fuels.  This includes modern
silicon-aluminum-bronze valve guides with REAL seals and hardened nickel seats,
CORRECTLY installed.

       Regarding the bottom end, we build to factory specs but go well beyond
that with modern balancing techniques and a couple oiling changes we can do
to that help survival, especially at high rpm's.

       This is a good time to consider a change in your camshaft profile.  If
you want more torque at low rpm's or more power at high rpm's, Jerry at Delta
Camshaft in Tacoma, WA is your man: he has over 30 proven different grinds
determined by 1960s and 1970s SCCA and Conference Sunbeam racers and the cost
is
usually under $70.00 (US) using your camshaft.  Jerry is not your local-tiny
cam grinder: he is one of the three remaining major manufactures of camshafts:
his cams are re-boxed and renamed Competition-Camshafts / Crane / Crower and
so on...  He is an ex-Vintage racer and his focus is always drawn like a
magnet to old cars.  Please tell him I sent you.

       Regarding internal parts, that is the minor concern you have: finding
a machinists that have done at least 40 (complete) Rootes engines, is the
megaload!  Aren't you glad you are a member of PTC?

Jim Leach    Pacific Tiger Club    Seattle