Clutch part question

To: alpines@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Clutch part question
From: Eric Wortmann <ejmwdesign@covad.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 10:39:22 -0700
I have a question regarding a sort of problem I'm having with my clutch.

My previous clutch disintegrated sending the cush drive springs into
the pressure plate/cover which in turn destroyed this part as well.
I replaced everything with fresh parts from Sunbeam Specialties minus
the pilot bushing as there hadn't been one in the car previously and
the one I got from SS didn't seem to fit.

Anyway, here's my question:  On the test drive after the install a
small (1") metal part shaped like an "L" Made from stamped 3/16" steel
and painted red fell out from under the car,  Car continued to drive,
shift and actuate the clutch normally.  Then another small clunk from
under the car and another "L" shaped piece appeared on the floor of my
garage.  The car continued to drive fine.  I took the car on a 750 mile
outing (yes you were all invited but didn't show up) and everything
went fine.  A few weeks later a small piece was discovered inside the
bell-housing.  It was about the shape of a dime and had a raised center
area.  It looked like it might have been used as a seat for a spring in
the cush drive in the clutch or the pressure plate so I took the tranny
out and took off the cover and everything looked fine.

So what does everyone/anyone think?  Does any of these parts sound
familiar/important?  Is there something I'm missing?

Any help is appreciated.

Eric

'62 serII

Check out the new British Cars Forum: