Re: Blade trough hood!

To: Łauri Lehtinen <lehtinen.lauri@kolumbus.fi>
Subject: Re: Blade trough hood!
From: Steve Sage <fastsage@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 07:52:12 -0700
#auri Lehtinen wrote:

>Have anyone else had a fan blade flying and making a hole into hood?

Lauri:
My now ex-Alpine had this happen several years ago. I was pulling into
my garage and I heard a big metallic sounding "bang". I kept the car
running, got out and looked and there was a big, growing puddle of oil
on the ground. I figured something really bad had happened to the engine
since it was idling very roughly too. I turned it off and looked under
the hood. The stock fan had lost a blade, just like with your car. At
not much more than idle RPM, the blade had come off with such force that
it had sliced an oil cooler line (it was a Series 5 Alpine) so cleanly
you couldn't see the gap in the hose unless you bent it, then hit the
front crissmember and gashed into it at least 1 inch. A very dangerous
occurance.

I changed over to a 6 blade plastic Hayden fan that was modified to fit
the Alpine. In addition to being a lot safer, it made a noticeable
difference in getting the car to run cooler. I think anyone still using
the stock four blade fan needs to look into changing it out, for both
safety and cooling reasons.

Steve Sage
Arizona, USA

Check out the new British Cars Forum: