Re: Blade trough hood!

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Blade trough hood!
From: RootesRooter@aol.com
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 03:29:14 EDT
Yes, the later four-blade fans are notorious for throwing blades.

I lost a blade 12 years ago traveling on the freeway.  It lodged  half-way
thru the hood, then fell out and landed on a frame rail, where I  found it
later.

A friend repaired the bonnet, and I replaced the fan with another  four-blade.

One year later, while turning close to 5000rpm on the freeway on my way to
SUNI II in Wisconsin, another blade came off.  BAM!!!!!!  As I  coasted to the
side of the freeway, I realized I'd heard  that sound before.  I sat up high,
looking over the bonnet.  Sure  enough, there they were again: those metallic
Mick Jagger-lips protruding from  the bonnet.  The hole was in EXACTLY the
same spot as the first one, not a  quarter inch off.

I found a local Alpine owner in Idaho who gave me an  extra 6-blade early
Series fan.  It's been on the car ever since. The  2nd hole in the bonnet has
never been repaired.  It would only invite  disaster.

Dick Sanders
Kent

In a message dated 7/25/2005 11:20:04 PM Pacific Standard Time,