Re: [Alpines] rear brake drop-ins from Ford?

To: bhayes@cs.stanford.edu, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Alpines] rear brake drop-ins from Ford?
From: JACranwell@aol.com
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 12:19:32 EDT
You may be better off checking out the brakes on the Tiger, as I believe
these were uprated.

Before you do anything too drastic, I would also check whether you have the
stock SV brakes installed, as these were extremely good for their day. Check
you have the correct bore of M/C.

Given you don't have an engine to provide vacuum, I suspect the servo is long
gone. If it has been removed, or disconnected, then you would need to change
the M/C to one with a smaller bore/longer travel, to give a higher mechanical
advantage. The one installed with the servo is a bigger bore, and needs the
legs of Arnold Swartzneger, if the servo is bypassed.

I believe that the M/C from an early (non-servo) Triumph Spitfire should do
the trick, as I believe I have used this in the past. I may have one lying
around, if you'd like me to check out the relative bore sizes.

By the way, I'll be sticking with my 1725 engine, as I can't imagine driving
an Alpine without the sweet soundtrack.

Good luck.

Julian.