Re: autox friendly insurance

To: Rick Cone <Conekiller@mci2000.com>
Subject: Re: autox friendly insurance
From: Joshua Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 15:46:54 -0700
Rick Cone wrote:

> You may consider my an expert on this subject.....
>
> I have USAA and they covered my mishap at Atlanta Motor Speedway.  The
> trick was that when the police filled out the accident report they did say
> it was racing.  They put down the term "Driver Improvement Program".  The
> lady at the insurance company asked, (after I told her it was a "Driver
> Improvement Program") asked if I passed!
>
> We also had a BMW rollover a time or two, and he had State Farm.  It to was
> covered.  The key is what is put down on the accident report.

I'm currently insured under State Farm, I used to be covered by Mercury
Casualty. Mercury covered me more than satisfactorily when I rolled my
GTI a number of years ago. Make sure to use the Solo2 rule book as the
description of what you were doing. I switched to state farm not because
of the rollover, but because I could get a multi-vehicle discount with
state farm (which was currently insuring my motorcycle, when mercury
would not.).

But the big thing is emphasizing the definition in the rule book. No
where does it use the dreaded "R" word. And it clearly makes the effort
to say that it is no more hazardous than day to day driving. Personally,
I feel more threatened in day to day driving than I ever do on an autox
course. Well, except when I'm riding passenger with someone who decides
to bicycle a VW, then I feel VERY threatened.

SIIR 1.5

Category II (Two) Solo Event

A Category II Solo Event is a non-speed driving skill contest such as,
but not limited to, autocrosses and slaloms. These events are run on
short courses that emphasize the driver's ability and the car's handling
and agility.

Competition licenses are not required, and hazards to spectators,
participants and property do not exceed those encountered in normal,
legal highway driving. All Category II events must be sanctioned by the
SCCA, Inc. The Solo II Rules (SIIR) are mandatory for use in SCCA Solo
II, Divisional, Tour, and National Championship events, and standards
set forth in the SIIR's must be adhered to by all SCCA Regions who
organize, sponsor, co-sponsor, or sanction a Solo II Event.

-Josh2

--
Joshua Hadler    '74 914 2.0 CSP/Bi - Hooligan Racing #29 - CONIVOR
                 '87 Quantum Syncro - aka stealth quattro

jhadler@rmi.net
http://rainbow.rmi.net/~jhadler/