Re: S2000 Classing

To: autox <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: S2000 Classing
From: "Burns, James B." <BurnsJB1@central.SSD.JHUAPL.edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 10:05:36 -0500
Someone posted the stats on the S2000, so I'll compare them to the MR2T
which is considered by some to be the baseline AS car.

MR2T has 200hp @ 6000rpm, plus has turbo lag to deal with.

>151lb/ft @ 7500
MR2T has 200 lb-ft @ 3200.  Advantage MR2, except for turbo lag, but I guess
the Honda might have 'VTEC lag'

>Curb Weight:  2750
MR2T is essentially the same.  A zero-option '91 MR2T is around 2700, with
A/C and other goodies around 2800 in autox trim (no muffler, spare tire
removed, 1/8 tank gas, etc.)

>Wheels:  F 16 x 6.5"    R 16 x 7.5"
'91-92 MR2 has 14x6 & 14x7.  '93+ have 15x6 & 15x7, so the Honda has
slightly wider rims.

>Close Ratio 6 speed
MR2 has 'normal' ratio 5 speed.

>50/50 weight distribution
MR2 has around 43F/57R.

The Honda also has a much more sophisticated suspension design.  The MR2 has
McPherson/Chapman struts front & rear.  The Honda uses a double-wishbone
suspension with a new light compact design for the S2000.

The S2000 sounds like an AS car to me.  A 2 liter, naturally aspirated,
4-cyl roadster that weighs 2700 lbs. just doesn't sound like a SS car.
However, I am afraid that the S2000 will be dominant in AS and ruin one of
the most diverse classes in Solo2.  If it's not dominant, though, it would
be cool to add a Honda to the Toyota/BMW/Porsche/TVR mix.

Brad Burns