Re: S2000 Classing

To: "Burns, James B." <BurnsJB1@central.SSD.JHUAPL.edu>
Subject: Re: S2000 Classing
From: Andrew_Bettencourt@kingston.com
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 07:14:01 -0800
You make 2 points:  You type a page of comparisons and then state, "The
S2000 sounds like an AS car to me.  A 2 liter, naturally aspirated, 4-cyl
roadster that weighs 2700 lbs. just doesn't sound like a SS car."  But the
next sentence says, "However, I am afraid that the S2000 will be dominant
in AS and ruin one of the most diverse classes in Solo2."

So where would YOU put it?  What's best for SS and AS?  What's best for the
membership?

AB

Someone posted the stats on the S2000, so I'll compare them to the MR2T
which is considered by some to be the baseline AS car.

MR2T has 200hp @ 6000rpm, plus has turbo lag to deal with.

>151lb/ft @ 7500
MR2T has 200 lb-ft @ 3200.  Advantage MR2, except for turbo lag, but I
guess
the Honda might have 'VTEC lag'

>Curb Weight:  2750
MR2T is essentially the same.  A zero-option '91 MR2T is around 2700, with
A/C and other goodies around 2800 in autox trim (no muffler, spare tire
removed, 1/8 tank gas, etc.)

>Wheels:  F 16 x 6.5"    R 16 x 7.5"
'91-92 MR2 has 14x6 & 14x7.  '93+ have 15x6 & 15x7, so the Honda has
slightly wider rims.

>Close Ratio 6 speed
MR2 has 'normal' ratio 5 speed.

>50/50 weight distribution
MR2 has around 43F/57R.

The Honda also has a much more sophisticated suspension design.  The MR2
has
McPherson/Chapman struts front & rear.  The Honda uses a double-wishbone
suspension with a new light compact design for the S2000.

The S2000 sounds like an AS car to me.  A 2 liter, naturally aspirated,
4-cyl roadster that weighs 2700 lbs. just doesn't sound like a SS car.
However, I am afraid that the S2000 will be dominant in AS and ruin one of
the most diverse classes in Solo2.  If it's not dominant, though, it would
be cool to add a Honda to the Toyota/BMW/Porsche/TVR mix.

Brad Burns