RE: S2000 Classing

To: Andrew_Bettencourt@kingston.com
Subject: RE: S2000 Classing
From: "Burns, James B." <BurnsJB1@central.SSD.JHUAPL.edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 10:34:47 -0500
> You make 2 points:  You type a page of comparisons and then state, "The
> S2000 sounds like an AS car to me.  A 2 liter, naturally aspirated, 4-cyl
> roadster that weighs 2700 lbs. just doesn't sound like a SS car."  But the
> next sentence says, "However, I am afraid that the S2000 will be dominant
> in AS and ruin one of the most diverse classes in Solo2."
>
> So where would YOU put it?  What's best for SS and AS?  What's best for
> the
> membership?

My gut feeling would be to initially put it into SS.  In the current AS we
have several cars which can be competitive, such as the MR2T, 968, 911,
944S2, Boxster, M3, Z3 Coupe (and maybe Roadster), and perhaps even others
such as the Morgan and TVR.  I think it's best not to risk messing that up
until the car's true competitive potential has been demonstrated.  We have
other precedents for putting it into SS too, such as the Camaro SS and
Firebird WS6 being put into SS in order to prevent them from screwing up the
FS class.

Brad Burns
'91 MR2T, A-stock
'87 RX7, ITS/CSP