328 vs. A4

To: Bay Autox <ba-autox@autox.team.net>, National Autox <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: 328 vs. A4
From: TDL <gofastlane@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 01:45:21 -0800 (PST)
Hello,

I'm still looking for a replacement racer and am back w/ more
questions before closing in for the kill.  I realize that the cars in
question do not compete directly and I don't intend to compare them as
such.  I'm looking at the feasability of the 328 in BS and the A4 in
GS and I'd like some help.

While the BMW may not be competitive nationally, I prefer it because
it's RWD and faster.  If I were to purchase one of the above, what
trim level for the Audi (1.8TQ or 2.8Q)?

Thoughts:

***the BMW is new for '99, but is it a better Xrosser than years back?
is the broader torque curve worth the cash?

***the 2.8Q now has 190hp, up from 172.  Is it hot or is the 1.8TQ
still the way to go?

***has the A4 gotten softer since inception for more appeal to the
masses?  maybe '98 was the best year...

***Accelleration stats look good for the 2.8 over the 1.8, but is it
worth the 140 extra lbs.?

Thanks,

Travis