Re: Fw: 18" rubber? Talk amongst yerselves ;-)

To: <PaxsACR@aol.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fw: 18" rubber? Talk amongst yerselves ;-)
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 11:53:50 -0600
>> I'd much rather remove the after-market wheel allowance altogether!
>
>> Mark >>
>
> I don't agree with you on that one. We're talking about going one
direction
>or the other. Allowing different wheel diameters would actually be a bad
thing
>for me because I'm in a class that has as close to a SPEC wheel as you're
>going to get. I think there was one Neon at Nat's that didn't have AR-24's
and
>even then he was on AR-25's.
----------------------
And wasn't one of the Molliker ladies running a custom Centerline wheel?
Hey, the AR-24 is cheap (often under $75 each), light (about 13 pounds?),
and plentiful.  Of course American racing went and screwed all the Neon
racers by changing the offset to a Stock class illegal 33mm instead of the
earlier legal 35mm offset.  I know cuz I gotta take a set to my local
machine shop and have them mill at least 0.65mm off of the hub to make them
legal.  I'll probably have them just take the whole 2mm off just to be safe.
Oh BTW, I called American Racing and they said that when they changed the
offset specs that they just added an extra 2mm of cast aluminum alloy to the
prior molds so having the 2mm milled off shouldn't affect wheel integrity.
Of course it will void the warranty but then racing does that anyway.

> When I put this idea out there, I'm thinking of the big picture, and in
this
>case giving us more of an option seems better, becase it allows more cars
>be competitive. Not allowing any wheel changes would make less cars
>competitive. Just look at Showroom Stock, they are allowing Trunk Kits in
>order to let more cars be competitive. Why shouldn't we follow the club
racing
>example to a point.
>
>Pax 98 ACR 41-DS
--------------------------
More cars to be competitive huh?  Wasn't someone else crying that not
allowing 18" wheeled cars to run 17" wheels in Stock was also limiting the
number of competitve cars?  Showroom Stock my fanny.  They're about as stock
as a NASCAR Stockcar.  We lowly Soloists tend to follow club racing for most
other trends, why not this also?

At least I think that's what the voices told me to write.   ;^)

See you on course.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69DS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T