Re: Fw: 18" rubber? Talk amongst yerselves ;-)

To: PaxsACR@aol.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fw: 18" rubber? Talk amongst yerselves ;-)
From: Pat MacAvoy <patmac@tridelta.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 13:16:27 -0500 (EST)
> From: PaxsACR@aol.com (pax rolfe)
> Subject: Re: Fw: 18" rubber? Talk amongst yerselves ;-)
>
> In a message dated 1/26/99 4:14:49 PM Central Standard Time,
> msirota@isc.upenn.edu writes:
> -----------
> << PaxsACR@aol.com wrote:
>  > Why not allow any size wheel diameter in Stock?
>
>  Because then everyone would have to buy lots of wheels and tires in
>  order to test all the possibilities?>>
>
> We do that now already.....

I, for one, find the thought of putting 13 inch wheels on the back of my
  porsche (to gain gearing advantage) to be a really perverse/appealing
  idea.  :-)

Now, this isn't fair to the FWD people, because they probably can't downside
  2 inches and get a wheel that will clear the brake caliper.

>  Wheels are a wear item?>>
>
> Yup, ever hear of potholes, curbs, juvenile delinquents. Name the 2 most
> commonly changed items on a car- the radio, and the wheels

I dunno what part of the world you're from, but where I live (pothole-
  ridden NeOhio), people replace brake pads, shocks, mufflers, etc. a lot
  more often than they replace wheels.  I'd go so far as to say that most
  of the people I know have orginal wheels on thier cars.

>  <<> Anybody that is serious about this sport buys another set of wheels
>  > anyway.
>
>  So they have a set of factory wheels they can use for race rubber, and
>  they can use their new wheels for the street.
>
>  I'd much rather remove the after-market wheel allowance altogether!

I'm not sure I agree with this, but in my case it doesn't matter, anyway.
  Nobody makes a 15-inch wheel for porsche 924S/944 cars (from what I have
  been able to find).

I'm not sure about the 17-for-18 swap, but I know the idea of any diameter
  in stock is a Bad Idea.

pat(i've had some bad ideas, from time to time)mac
Pat MacAvoy
a.k.a. konekiller@tridelta.com
84 CS RX7 GSL-SE (for sale, see http://www.suite224.net/~patmac)
88 CS 924S-SE (CS gun)