RE: 99 Miata suspenion

To: "'Craig Blome'" <cblome@yahoo.com>, Alan Dahl <adahl@eskimo.com>,
Subject: RE: 99 Miata suspenion
From: Kevin McCormick <ktm@Unify.Com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 08:00:04 -0800
I can help here - When we put these on Katie Elder's '99 we had the factory
Bilsteins to reference against.

We measured the Bilstein first from various points and various methods
(using a micrometer).  Our methods were semi-crude, but repeatable.  The
MazdaSpeed shocks indeed were low in the rear - as to specific amounts,  2mm
sounds right.   Another thing that was considered was the droop in the lower
bushing on the Bilstein - since it had been on the car, it had been
'squished' (I know, a technical term :-)  up, thus minimally lowering the
car, so that has to be taken into consideration when comparing against a
never installed shock.

I knew Alan had the same shocks and emailed him about this - he agreed that
the rear were lower.

Ask anyone who had deal with putting Koni's on an R-package car before Koni
came out with their extra perch groove - you measure, measure, measure...

BTW, I do think that Koni did not get right the perch height on their middle
'R' groove on the rear shocks. - I have two of these on a shelf in the
garage, and everytime I measured them, they came up lower than a Bilstein...

Another BTW - remember, the rule says that the perch can be no lower than
the factory one - error on the safe side...

Preaching mode off...

Kevin McCormick