little cars&little tires

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: little cars&little tires
From: Ray Elliott <teamhalf_fast@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 22:28:46 EDT
Having a little car with rims that are
13"X4.5" means that I don't have to
even give a thought to spending really
big bucks for exotic street tires. I
don't think anyone even makes anything
to fit my rims that costs as much as
$100 each. Except for sticky autox
tires. Even then they are not really for
my car. None smaller than 185/60 13 and
that's just a tad large for such
narrow rims. Not that I would pay $130 each
for tires that wear out so fast as those do
even if they were a good fit. Wear out too
fast, cost too much and are unsafe on a
little car like mine with all that grip!
I buy 175/70 13 tires that would probably
cost about $60 each if I didn't get a
somewhat reduced price on them. And they have
fairly good grip in the bargain. Not
a bad deal. Once in a while I find some
pretty good used tires with enough tread
to make them worth the $20. I guess if
I had a big sporty car with those
steam-roller size tires I'd be singing the
blues about having to pay so much for tires.
Even then you don't really have to buy
the most expensive things made to get
tires with some grip. Off brand tires are
often fairly grippy. When I drove a Camaro
I used "Stratton" tires that were actually
made by BFG. They were pretty good for
autoxing. Good enough to win now and then.