Re: civic wheel/tire advice

To: <autox@autox.team.net>, <coxb@trimofran.org>
Subject: Re: civic wheel/tire advice
From: "Scott Phelps" <scott_phelps@gdt1.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 14:43:32 -0400
>>> "Brad Cox" <coxb@trimofran.org> 06/15/99 02:30PM wrote:

>I've blanketed the internet looking for inexpensive (~$50) 13-14" wheels
>without much success.  I've also heard of people taking a stock rim and
>widening it.  I still have my 14x5 inch steel wheels, but they're just
>sitting in the corner.  Is it worth it to get them widened?  How do they do
>that without messing up the offset anyway?

I would try a salvage yard first, I've gotten several sets of nice factory
alloys for less than $100.  If you have 14" you will probably want at least a
5.5" rim.   I'm sure you could find a set of used factory alloys to fit your
car relatively cheap.   If not, you put race rubber on your steels, but I
wouldn't go much wider than a 185 on a 5" rim.  Perhaps a 195, but your tire
guy will swear at you.   I know a lot of "doing it for fun" autoxers who run on
stock steel rims.  You have them, and if money is tight, they're the cheapest
option.  I wouldn't pay to have a steel rim widened,  for the money that would
cost, you could find a set of used alloys for the same $$.....

I say, use the steels for a year or so, then decide whether or not to upgrade
once your first set of R rubber wears out.

Scott Phelps
Team SOL #1
88 Yugo GVX EP