C&C mods in stock...

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: C&C mods in stock...
From: "Steven N. Burkett" <sburkett@ooi.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 13:52:17 -0500 (CDT)
Since this whole "comfort and convenience" thing has been recently taken
to the extreme on this list, I thought I'd ask a related question.

If I want to change something soley to reduce the likelihood of engine
failure, that will have no effect on anything else, does that count as
convenience?

Two specific examples, both RX-7 TT related:

1) There is a common failure point in the cooling system, a plastic air
separator tank.  When fails, you dump most of your coolant right this very
instant.  Solution is to replace with an aluminum aftermarket part.

2) Vaccuum (pressure) tubes.  These tend to blow off under boost,
resulting in various problems.  Putting them back on often involves a
great deal of work, so many folks put hose clamps or cable ties on them.

So are these legal in stock?  The first, of course, is not only more
convenient for me, it is more convenient to the person behind me. ;-)

A potential argument against the second would be: the stock car is more
likely to blow an actuator hose and lose boost.  Therefore, tying the
tubes is a performance modification (sort of).

Any opinions appreciated.  Sorry for the lack of turbo vs NA content...

Thanks!
Steven