re : MR2 Bolts and Porsche Tensioners

To: "TEAM.NET" <autox@autox.team.net>, "Ghsharp@aol.com" <Ghsharp@aol.com>
Subject: re : MR2 Bolts and Porsche Tensioners
From: Tesec@compuserve.com
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 09:51:24 -0400
Mark Sirota wrote :

> For those who cannot live with it, if it's truly a legitimate weakness
> in the car, get the manufacturer to fix it by issuing a simple piece of
> paper, and/or a revised part.

and Matt Murray replied :

> Apparently, Porsche DOES have a cam chain tensioner TSB. It was
> submitted to the powers that be. It was turned down. Somehow, that
> doesn't make sense.

I submitted the TSB this year again as the SEB has changed a lot since the
last time I submitted it (10 years went by fast!).

then GH Sharp wrote :

> If I remember correctly, the TSB from Porsche gave the_option_of using
> the oil-fed tensioner *or* the older-style hydraulic one.  According to
past
> practice, a TSB or mfr recall notice that *mandates* use of a superceding
> part in place of an older one makes the newer one legal for Stock and SP.
> In the case of the Toyota crash bolts, these are a factory-approved
method
> of crash repair and therefore legal according to the rulebook.

and Rex pointed out the rule that allowed that.

OK, then how about the Camaro aluminum 1LE driveshafts which are
ALLOWED to be installed due to a TSB but not required? That does
not seem consistent.

The difference in the Porsche tensioners vs crash bolts/subframe
connectors/
driveshafts is that NEARLY ALL street driven 911s have these installed
already. In a quick lookup in street cars for sale in the national PCA
magazine,
5/99, page 88, '70 - '73 911s, out of 12 stock cars for sale, SEVEN
specifically
mention "carrera" or "press fed" or "hydraulic" tensioners. Many of the
others
probably have them too, but not listed. So anyone buying one of these
cars could not run it in A-Stock or ASP (I run my PCA E-Stock 911RS 2.7  in
AP
though it is not as fast as a good ASP 911).

I don't see why a factory TSB that allows a non-performance item to be
fixed should not be allowed in stock class when every dealer and
repair shop installs them, and other TSB items such as driveshafts are
allowed though not required.

Regards, mike piera  AnalogMike@aol.com  '72 911S Targa, '73 911RS Replica

 ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~  vintage guitars   www.analogman.com