Re: C&C mods in stock...

Subject: Re: C&C mods in stock...
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 12:04:39 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, James B Howell wrote:
> One of the issues overlooked in the "Neons should be able to use
> non-stock motor mounts for durability reasons" argument is the fact that
> a more solid motor mount can translate into a performance advantage, and
> if you do not require an OEM part number on the motor mount then it is
> going to be almost impossible to reasonably determine how much of an
> advantage is gained by the motor mount being used.

Then allow spec replacements.  Btw, I've run my neon multiple times with a
stiff vs. stock motor mount.  I can't tell the difference.  I'd challenge
anyone to be able to tell the difference (without intentionally locking
the brakes to wreck the stock mount).

> If you allow just
> Neons to use motor mounts that enhance their performance, then you run
> the risk of upsetting the balance of competition in the class (plus you
> de facto require Nationally competitive Neon pilots to install the most
> competitive motor mounts whether they need to be replaced or not).

Yeah.  Neons might start dominating DS & P6!  The horror!  And if you
think any neon driver would bitch about replacing the mount once vs.
multiple times, you're on crack.

> If you
> don't limit the allowance to just the Neons then you run the risk of
> upsetting all the classes and requiring everyone to spend the extra money
> for more solid aftermarket motor mounts.

Which is exactly why I recommend a specific exclusion list.

> These are not insurmountable issues, but once you take a step back from
> the details, it makes sense to leave drivers to make their own decision
> if they want to buy a car for autocrossing that requires frequent
> replacement of the motor mounts or if they want to buy some other car
> that does not.

Sure, that makes sense.  Lets force everyone who's annoyed by this
to either live with it or buy a new car, rather then expend a little
effort to make the sport less costly.

Whatever.  Gotta go order another stock mount that'll break in a month or
two.

Mark