RE: best places to autox?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: best places to autox?
From: "Moore, John" <jmoore@spyglass.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 14:31:57 -0500
        Being from the Chicago-region, I would have to say that, in terms of
Quantity of events, you can pretty much find an autocross with 1.5 to 2 hour
drive of Chicago from  March through early November. With the Chicago-Region
SCCA, Tri-State Sports Car Council, SaltCreek Sports Car Club, Wisconsin
Autocrossers Inc, Milwaukee Region SCCA, Indiana Nortwest Region SCCA, South
Bend SCCA, and then the CenvDiv events, you can always find an event to
attend. There is even the Snow Solo series in South Bend for those who can't
stand not competing all winter(Uh, that includes me!). And even some local
specialty car clubs, like the Miata Club and the VW Club that run events.
        The Chicago area also has a very good turn out in many classes as
well. As was mentioned there are several CM cars. There is also a "flock" of
neons that show up to every event. FSand GS are also well populated. ES
always seems to have several cars. HS even occasionally has more than one
car.
        In the Chicago Area you also get to run with national caliber
drivers in many classes including HS, ES, FS, GS, CP, and AM. If you are
into Street Tire racing, there is always 30 or so cars running the the
Street tire class. Plus the people are freindly and always seem to be
willing to give helpful information if you ask for it.
        So from my limited experience (1.5 years) view of the Autocross
world, the Chicago area seems to be a pretty decent place to be.

John Moore
1993 Toyota MR2 NA (CS #55)