RE: How does a region foster nationally competitive drivers?

To: "'David Hawkins'" <otgrouch@twosrus.com>
Subject: RE: How does a region foster nationally competitive drivers?
From: "Miller, Don" <MillerD2@idhw.state.id.us>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 07:20:25 -0600
If we are to foster the growth of our "sport" then use the word in a good
way as in "good sport". In our Region, the Novice program (thanks, Carl) is
growing by leaps and bounds. Our Region has less than 100 full time members
and had 27 novices at our last event. If we want to attract these people and
have them become members, then let the experienced drivers help make the
event fun and a learning experience. I would hate to finish four runs and
look at the scoreboard and have an Off-course marked on all of them. We
always have 2-4 people who are willing to ride and help point the way. Or
have the novice ride in their car with them. If the drivers in the region
are complaining it is an unfair advantage (I can understand at
National/Divisional level), maybe it's time to find a region that is not so
uptight (Nomex on). Let's relax and try to have fun and remember it is a
sport not a fight.

Don Miller
Asst RE/ Comp Dir
Snake River Region