Gravel/rocks and R tires?

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gravel/rocks and R tires?
From: Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@i2.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 21:16:18 -0500
Driving R-compound tires over gravel or dirt roads results in lots
of small stones getting impaled into the rubber.  You can easily
pop them out, but you'll have a small depression or slit where
the stone once was.

Now for the questions:

1) If you drive to an event and end up carrying a lot of small
   rocks in your rubber, what is the impact on the stickiness
   of your tires??  Should you take the time to pick out all
   the impaled stones?

2) What is the effect of small gaps, depressions, or gashes in
   the rubber?  They are nowhere near through the tread, so the
   integrity of the tire is not compromised.  But the traction
   may be affected?  Or the wear of the tread may be accelerated?

3) Should I be careful to keep my R-tires off gravel/dirt?
   Or should I not worry about it?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Brian