Re: Tire Rack Heat Cycling

To: "Paul Foster" <pfoster@gdi.net>
Subject: Re: Tire Rack Heat Cycling
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 11:28:10 -0500
>>1. Not heat cycled
>>2. Heat cycled by regular driving for 100 continuous highway miles
>>3 to 4 weeks in advance of the track test
>>3. Heat cycled by regular driving for 100 continuous highway miles
>>48 hours in advance of the track test
>>4. The Tire Rack's Heat Cycling Service 48 hours in advance of the
>>track test>>>
>
>Too bad they didn't also use the method that is prescribed by Hoosier.
>That is to gradually drive the car from 50% to 100% over the course of
>3-4 track laps and then let them sit for at least 24 hours, preferably
>week. According to them you must exercise the tires at the limits for
>the procedure to have full effect just as the Indy car and Winston Cup
>teams do before a race. It would have been interesting to see a real
>test that includes this procedure instead of one that was intended to
>make the $15 per tire 'processing' look good...
==========================
Unfortunately, most of us autocrossers do not have access to a good
track to do the "Hoosier process".  But, we do have plenty of access to
regular old highways.  And according to their info that I quoted, the
highway methods, #'s 2 & 3 afforded the same benefits as their $15/tire
heat cycling service.   Hey, if you've got the extra money and not the
time then by all means utilize their heat cycling service.  As for me,
I've got far more time than money and I can also have a little fun with
freeway interchange cloverleafs while heat cycling the tires.  ;^)

>Also, next time you order from Tire Rack, ask for shaved tires that are
>not heat cycled. Chances are you will get heat cycled tires anyway
>without having to pay the extra money...
>
>Paul Foster
=========================
Chances are great that the next set of tires that I order for my Neon,
which will be Kumhos, will come from Tire Rack.  But at my stage in the
learning game I need the extra rubber and life afforded by full tread
tires much more than I need that last 1/10 second that shaved tires
might get me.  And they're also cheaper if not shaved.

See you on course.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69DS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T
<eric10mm@qni.com>

Patrick Henry:
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone
who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it
but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."

Benjamin Franklin:
"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary
safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."