Re: Neon Power Steering Fluid pukes @ Solos

Subject: Re: Neon Power Steering Fluid pukes @ Solos
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 14:30:50 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Mon, 28 Jun 1999 JTHOR11@aol.com wrote:
> I know that this is a recurrant problem for Neons... but has anyone come up
> with a solution for the boiling / puking power steering fluid problem during
> Autocrosses?  We have tried the "it will find its own level" technique... let
> it puke until it doesn't puke anymore... but then we get the steering moan.
> Could it be a bad O-ring in the cap?  Could it be as simple as replacing the
> cap?  I am about to start wrapping a shop rag around the resourvous (sp) when
> we run to catch all the spewed fluid.
>
> Anyone have any insights here?

I had this problem on both my ACR's ('98 sedan, '95 coupe).  In both caes
it went away when i replaced the ps fluid with synthetic and filled it to
just over the 'add' line when hot.  I'd probably recommend Redline, just
'cause I like 'em.  You can buy it lots of places, but if you get it from
Strano's (www.stranoparts.com), you help out an autocrosser.

To drain the fluid, I've had good luck disconnecting the low pressure
return line off the steering rack, letting the fluid drain, and starting
the car for a _brief_ period of time to pump out remaining oil (this can
be messy.  'low' is relative :-)  Then rehook up the line, fill it with
fluid, run the motor, then set the level.  You'll probably need to let air
bubbles dissolve out after you run the motor as it cavitates a bit
initially it seems.

YMMV, good luck, etc.

Mark