Re: How does a region foster nationally competitive drivers?

To: Phil Ethier <pethier@isd.net>
Subject: Re: How does a region foster nationally competitive drivers?
From: Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 14:39:33 -0400
Phil Ethier wrote:

> I personally don't think it should be the mission of a region to foster
> nationally competitive drivers.

As a Foster I just want to say WHAT!?!?! ;-)

> The mission should be to give the local autocrossers the most autocross
> enjoyment possible.  The people with the natural talent to be nationally
> competitive drivers will quickly rise to the top on the local scene.  If
> they also have the financial wherewithal and the lifestyle that accommodates
> travel, they will naturally gravitate to national-level events.
>
> If the local region has the organizational skills and manpower to handle it,
> putting on a Divisional or Tour would be nice.
>
> But providing good local events is the strength of this sport.

I agree the mission is not to generate future national champions. But I
don't think you can readily discount the training aspect of the sport. I
push autocrossing as a safe way to learn car control. An extension of
that would be to provide a way for people to increase their skill level
over time so they could be competitive nationally whether or not they
make the pilgrimage. I contend anybody can become a national champion
given the desire and the experience. Natural talent has little to do
with it. IMHO.

Paul Foster

BTW, a foster is a saddle maker...