Re: HS Beetle

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: HS Beetle
From: "BPS Administrator" <mhood@busprod.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 11:32:33 -0500
    The local dealership here in Tulsa doesn't have any of these issues and
will go out of thier way to even warranty not warrantied items in alot of
cases. I would suggest finding another dealer. Exploding diff's happens on
older cars where the ring gear is connected with rivets. I have a heavily
modified 85' 8v and have never actually shattered a diff even with roadrace
slicks or r tires on it. A freind of mine in PA has a 16v passat that had a
techtonics head and cams, broke the timing chain and murdered the head plus
a piston and at 70k and VW paid for it. He was out of pocket $0.00. Hell you
can go to our local dealer and they will tune out your VW for you when you
buy it new. Lower it, exhausts, chips the whole nine yards. A *properly* set
up VR6 handles very well, I think it's over classed though and it's not
competitive. I have contemplated buying a 1.8 turbo gls beetle for ST, It is
the best handling new VW right now and there are serious power gains from
good bolt on parts, too bad a stage 4 kit isn't legal for ST :) I'd love to
autox a 400+ hp beetle !!. A simple exhaust, chip, cone filter and balanced
injectors push it from 150hp to well into the 200's. The 1.8t  has alot of
hidden power. In my opinion the reliablity of the VW cars are very good and
*most* dealers go way out of thier way in service. For instance, our dealer
will do incredible things for customers... Last winter when it snowed real
hard a young woman just bought an 88 jetta from thier used lot. The gas door
was frozen shut and she couldn't fill it up. They sent someone up to open it
free of charge just because she was a VW owner and bought it there.

Mike H.
TSOL #3
85 8v GTi
70 Beetle