Re: Solo I racing

To: Jason Bowles <jbowles@carol.net>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Solo I racing
From: 95 GSR <TurboTage@geocities.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 01:41:30 -0700
I did some Time Trials with "SpeedTrial USA" at Willow Springs in Rosamond,
CA July 24-25.  It wasn't exactly SCCA santioned but it was the same basic
thing they do in Solo I.  Tech is a lot more "involved" than autocrossing
but still not hard to pass if your car is in good working order.  You have
to have stock working seat belts or better, a helmet rated at SA90 or
better, and your entry fee.  That's basically it though!  The best thing
about it is the seat time.  It ran $120/day which is quite a bit more than
an autox, but I got to drive on the track at, near, and and OVER the limit
for over an HOUR each day.  Between the two days I logged over 200 miles on
the track!  It was a lot of fun and I did take a 3rd place trophy home but
it is murder on your car, tires, and brakes, especially if it's your daily
driver. :(  At 10:30pm tonight I FINALLY got everything repaired after my
little exit in to the dirt coming out of turn 9 at 90mph.  Ooops! :o

Not sure where the tracks are in your area but most of them provide a
driving school of some sort for novices.  If you're good at autocrossing
though, you'll do fine at road racing.  The only main difference is the speeds.

Good luck!
Tage...