Re: Semi-Trailing Arm Next Ralph Nader No No???

To: "autocross" <AUTOX@autox.team.net>, "Mark Sirota" <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Subject: Re: Semi-Trailing Arm Next Ralph Nader No No???
From: "Justin Hughes" <ka1ult@channel1.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 15:45:54 -0400
> I also don't know if this is a primary factor in the rollover rate;
> after all, 2002's and 320i's don't have a high rollover rate.  I think
> it had something to do with the roll rate.  They built up a lot of
> angular momentum in roll, then abruptly hit the bump stops.  The 318i,
> I think, is worse in this respect than its E30 brethren, suggesting
> that suspension settings (spring and roll rates, shock rates, ride
> height) may be significant factors.

Well that's reassuring, being a 320i pilot. :)  Yet I can attest that even
with the optional rear sway bar, a stock E21 has A LOT of body roll (see my
pics at http://www.channel1.com/users/ka1ult/igor/autoxpic.htm for proof).
So does a stock E30 325e.  Perhaps the 318i you refer to does have much
stiffer settings than these models as you suggest, resulting in a higher
rollover rate.

    - Justin