Re: Semi-Trailing Arm Next Ralph Nader No No???

To: Justin Hughes <ka1ult@channel1.com>
Subject: Re: Semi-Trailing Arm Next Ralph Nader No No???
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 16:40:15 -0400
Justin Hughes wrote:
> Yet I can attest that even with the optional rear sway bar, a stock
> E21 has A LOT of body roll.

I'm not talking about the amount of body roll.  I'm talking about
the roll rate -- the speed at which the body rolls.  And in
particular, the speed at which it contacts the bump stops (which
results in an almost instantaneous change of roll center to the outer
contact patches).

You know the old adage, speed doesn't kill, it's the sudden deceleration
at the end?  Same thing here.  It's the hard hit against the bump stops.

Mark