Re: State Farm DOES cover Drivers Eds!

To: "Paul Foster" <pfoster@gdi.net>, "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: State Farm DOES cover Drivers Eds!
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 11:53:49 -0500
State farm lost our business several years ago when we applied for LIFE
insurnance for our two oldest teen-agers, and were informed that the
premiums would *double* for each because of their "racing activities." Said
racing activities were an INTENT to begin autocrossing. Neither had yet
turned a wheel on a solo II course. When we attemted to point out to State
Farm that an autocross was about the safest form of motorsport known to man
(lower speeds, no other traffic, nothing to hit, etc.) State Farm haughtily
stated "we know what we are talking about" (when patently they did NOT) and
shut off all discussion while reconfirming that to insure these two kids'
lives and limbs from the peril of 3 minutes a month or so of on-course time
would require twice the usual premium rate. This was not the agent talking,
but the underwriters telling the agent what he must charge. At that time we
had four cars and a homeowners policy with them. The agent, with whom I had
done business some 20 years, knew full well the sport I played and while the
company did not insure my Prepared-class race car, the street cars would
occasionally find their way on course.

That debacle cost State Farm all of our business. And this story that I
occasionally tell for those who think State Farm is so wonderful.